Thursday, May 28, 2009

Introduction

In Tennessee Williams' epic tribute to failed expectations and mendacity 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof', the protagonist, Brick Pollitt, delivers one of the crispest summations of better times passed;


"..people like to do what they used to do, even after they've stopped being able to do it"

In many ways, this blog is about me fulfilling the very opposite sentiment. I've never run a blog, i've never kept a journal, and save for the odd, abstract Facebook Status Update, i've never published my various trivial emotional movements to the wider world. However, this blog does feel like something i'd like to do, even though i've never been able to do it before.




A couple of days ago, the Washington Square Fountain reopened after nearly 18 months and $16 million worth of works. It seems that the enormous fountain didn't seem to exactly align with the mini Arc de Triomphe at the end of the Square. So they shut the whole park down and moved the 100 year old fountain a grand total of a couple feet!!

I think this is the perfect metaphor for my time here.... I hope it doesn't take either one and a half years or millions of dollars to re-align myself, but i do believe i've only gotta do about a meter's worth of work.