Thursday, July 2, 2009

What's in a Neighborhood

The party is over. My free-rent lifestyle is about to be curbed. Up until now, i have been crashing in the spare bedroom at my sister and her husband's apartment in Brooklyn. Whereas the neighborhood itself has been sparsely providing and entertaining (unless you're into the whole Kosher/oily food/girls in wigs thing), it has provided a perfectly stable and efficient jumping off point for my time in The City. But now this experience must come to an end. The reasons are many, but suffice to say- even if you do find the proverbially impossible 'free lunch', at some point, Lunchtime will end.

Before i go on, let me say a great big thank you to the sister and brother-in-law. Much obliged.

But now i'm looking for a summer sublet. My long term plans involving housing have taken another swing and i need some more time to reevaluate. At the current wits-end i find myself, i am unable to declare with certainty which one of the world's continents i wish to reside upon. I think i may take the entire summer in New York to work it out. All i need to do now is work out where in New York i want to be, whilst i work out where in the world i want to be.

Maybe i should try for a locality that isn't already populated my friends. The sort of area that whilst comfortable and providing, is so very different from the characteristics that i normally seem attracted to. See, for me, woman and neighborhoods seem to appeal to me for the same reasons of attraction. I like to live somewhere that is vibrant, alternative, presents a slightly grungy attractiveness, highly amusing, never sleeping and with a real unpredictable streak. In essence, somewhere crazy. The question is, whether these requirements have served me well both in the quest for love and lease.

I've certainly enjoyed the many places all over the world i have lived, but whereas i entered the front door of every relationship with my various abodes bearing a firm commitment to something long-term, they ultimately ended prematurely. It's not only for reasons due to a lacking of commitment, but rather because 'life' kept getting in the way. The same could be said for my relationships with those that belonging to (as the Britpop band Space put it) " The Female of the species [which] is more deadly than the Male".

Sometimes one needs to change up his approach. Time for a new neighborhood.

So, to Craigslist i turn.

Actually, they also have a 'Seeking Love' type classifieds there, no?

Oh, hang on - the type of person posting internet Love Classifieds, is exactly the type of person i meant to avoiding.

 

'Woke up this morning, feeling round for my shoes. You know bout that babe, got them old Walkin' Blues'

Robert Johnson, 'Walkin' Blues'